Are mercury free dental restorations in Lawrence right for you?By Dr. Les Miller
Amalgam dental restorations are the subject of one of the greatest controversies in modern dentistry. The debate hinges on science, studies that arrive at different conclusions, and different interpretations of studies. However, there are a few undisputed facts.
Amalgam contains about half mercury. Although they are called silver fillings, there is very little silver in amalgam. It is a metal alloy containing about 50 percent mercury along with other metals such as tin, copper, and a little silver.
Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive element found on this planet. This substance is a potent neurotoxin, which can cause severe health issues if high levels are present in the human body.
Amalgam fillings emit mercury vapors. According the American Dental Association's statement on dental amalgam, the small amount of vapor released has not been shown to cause harm. Some studies have arrived at different conclusions, and some nations have banned the use of amalgam. However, the official stance of laws and mainstream dental organizations in the United States maintain that amalgam fillings are safe.
With today's advanced dental materials, metal restorations are unnecessary. Porcelain or biocompatible resin can be used to fill, restore, or replace teeth. In addition to avoiding questions of safety, these materials have tremendous cosmetic benefits. Amalgam and other metal materials are noticeable and attention catching when they are used on visible teeth. Our biocompatible, cosmetic materials are naturally white and the color is adjusted to match your teeth perfectly, for a smile that catches attention for all of the right reasons!
If you have a cavity, we will recommend filling it, and if you have an old, failing filling we will recommend replacing it. In either case, we will use beautiful, mercury free solutions. The health concerns surrounding mercury in dentistry are considered speculative and at this point official guidelines do not recommend replacing undamaged filling. However, it is your right to research the topic independently, and arrive at your own opinion. If you choose to replace amalgam dental work due to personal beliefs, cosmetic concerns, or any other reason, we are here to help with amalgam removal following the IAOMT guidelines of safety.
If you are looking for a dental team that is dedicated to providing the most beautiful, healthiest dentistry possible, call our Lawrence, KS, office at (888) 993-1707 and schedule an appointment today.
- Lawrence patients ask, "Should I consider amalgam filling removal?"
- The safest technique for amalgam removal in Lawrence
- Understanding the philosophy of holistic dentistry in Lawrence
- Are mercury free dental restorations in Lawrence right for you?
- What is the difference between mercury free and safe dentistry in Lawrence?
- Mercury free and more: Choosing a health-conscious dentist in Lawrence
- Lawrence dentist uses mercury safe protocol for amalgam removal
- Healthy is beautiful with mercury free dentistry in Lawrence
- How safe is the removal of mercury fillings in Lawrence?
Back to Mercury Safe Dentistry Home Page
- Preventive Dentistry
- Sleep Apnea/CPAP Alternatives
- sedation dentistry
- cosmetic dentistry
- Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal
- dental implants
- fountain of youth dentures
- 3D Imaging & Diagnostics
- Ozone Therapy
- Bioclear Injection Molding